Rande Sotomayor is a Los Angeles-based mediator with over 35 years of commercial litigation and dispute resolution experience. She is highly regarded for her ability to connect with the parties and counsel, identify legal, factual, and emotional issues, and tenaciously drill down to help develop viable solutions. She comes to every mediation energized and optimistic about the opportunities to help all participants achieve their goals in the process. Rande currently specializes in business, real property, employment, personal injury, insurance bad faith, and ERISA benefits disputes.
Rande’s experience in handling the full spectrum of state and federal civil litigation, including plaintiff and defense work in high exposure cases, through trial and appeal, makes a difference in getting the results that parties and counsel need. She mediates disputes in litigation, in pre-litigation stages, and in the context of conflict management for business leaders intent on strategically resolving hard issues. Contentious meetings run respectfully and productively when Rande is hired to facilitate them.
Rande graduated from Duke University and Washington University School of Law in St. Louis, where she was an editor on the law review. Recognized for her pragmatic and sensitive approach to resolving conflict, as well as her thoughtful and provocative contributions to the Alternative Dispute Resolution field, Rande has received the following honors:
• Fellow, International Academy of Mediators (invitation-only organization of commercial mediators who promote and adhere to the highest practice and ethical standards)
• Selected to elite international working group on training over 130 international mediators to judge and mediate the 2018 ICC International Commercial Mediation Competition in Paris, France
• Selected as one of five judges for the Final Competition Match at the 2018 ICC International Commercial Mediation Competition
• Selected for the 2017, 2018, and 2019 Southern California Super Lawyers lists in Alternative Dispute Resolution
• Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating (Peer-Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence)
• Named a Top Attorney by Pasadena Magazine, 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
Area of Practice
United States District Court – Central, Southern, Eastern, Northern Districts of California
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit